In a comprehensive application process, adjudicated by an independent panel of health and safety professionals, the housing group successfully demonstrated:
- Identifying key health, safety and wellbeing issues and hazards for customers and staff and then implementing measures to manage them
- Maintaining the health and safety competencies of colleagues in property safety and occupational health and safety roles
- Colleagues at all levels influencing and engaging in health and safety behaviours and change processes
- Identifying and monitoring relevant statutory duties
- Using the outcomes of performance monitoring to continually improve the safety of properties and colleagues
Orbit’s key health and safety highlights from the last year include winning innovation project of the year for its Building Information Modelling pilot project, launching an internal Building Safety podcast to improve awareness and understanding of colleagues, and demonstrating continuous safety improvements through Asbestos, lift, electrical and water safety audits. Orbit’s ‘Press for Action’ campaign which makes it easier for colleagues to report health and safety risks, was also rolled out to external contractors helping to identify issues and common trends.
Afzal Ismail, Group Executive Director for Orbit Corporate Services, said: “We’re thrilled to receive this prestigious recognition for the second consecutive year. The International Safety Awards recognise organisations that have achieved the highest standards in health and safety from around the world. Receiving this is testament to the hard work and effort that our people consistently deliver in order to keep our customers, colleagues, members of the public and our business partners safe.”
The 65th International Safety Awards recognise an organisation’s commitment to excellent standards of health, safety and wellbeing management at a specific site or business unit. Winners included organisations of all sizes, types and sectors, and businesses in the UK, Africa, Asia, India, mainland Europe and the Middle East.